We at Michigan Turkey Producers care about the environment, and our operations reflect this. We strive to be environmentally conscious in all of our actions, from fuel usage to waste recycling.
Here are some of the ways we are committed to sustainability:
1. The close proximity of member growers to our processing plants means less pollution and energy use. The average travel time between our farms and processing plants is less than forty minutes.
2. The majority of our production waste is recycled.
- All inedible parts (blood, bone, feathers, etc.) go to a local rendering plant to be recycled.
- All wastewater is segregated and diverted to the local wastewater plant for recycling.
- The majority of paper and cardboard waste is recycled.
- Frying (vegetable) oil used to brown our turkey breasts is collected and recycled into feed.